This Yeezy show was not like the others
After the drama at last year’s Season 4 show, fashion fans had no idea what 2017 would hold for Kanye’s Yeezy show at Pier59 Studios in New York City. In true Kanye style, there was plenty of anticipation and lots of surprises. We found out exactly what went down at the mysterious NYFW show because, for once, there wasn’t much in the way of social media… which was precisely the rapper-come-designer’s intention.
1. Invitations came in the form of a sweatshirt. Standard Kanye.
2. There was a strict social media ban. No cellphones were allowed but Kim K still managed to post Snapchats because Kanye’s rules obviously don’t apply to her.
3. All credentialed press was kicked out. They literally removed everyone before the show started.
Yeezy Season 5 will not have a stream. No photos, phones, or social media allowed. Press has already been removed.
— HUNTER CLARK (@huntercclark) February 15, 2017
4. Hijab-wearing model Halima Aden made her runway debut in the show. The 19-year-old, who’s signed with IMG, SLAYED.
A post shared by Halima Aden (@kinglimaa) on
5. A new sneaker, bulkier than the OG Yeezy Boost 350s, was revealed as part of the collection. It will supposedly be available in two colourways.
— SoleCollector.com (@SoleCollector) February 15, 2017
6. Kim Kardashian sat next to Anna Wintour who has attended every Yeezy show to date. Kim was a vision in burgundy. Head-to-toe burgundy.
— dmfashionbook (@dmfashionbook) February 15, 2017
7. Hailey Baldwin attended, as did Kylie Jenner.
Hailey Baldwin at the Yeezy Season 5 show pic.twitter.com/psXXC8qYM5
— ㅤㅤㅤㅤ (@findbaldwin) February 15, 2017
8. Kiwi model Georgia Fowler walked in the show. It was her first ever Yeezy appearance.
Continuing her meteoric rise, former FQ cover girl @georgiafowler closed one of the most talked-about shows at #NYFW: #Yeezy Season 5 by @kanyewest. Georgia wore glossy cigarette-leg pants, a chunky knit and an oversized anorak, styled by @carineroitfeld ❤️
A post shared by Fashion Quarterly Magazine (@fashionquarterly) on
9. As far as fashion went, there was ‘Calabasas’ merch with the city name emblazoned across the backs of jackets, plenty of athleisure looks and denim was introduced to the collection for the first time.
CALABASAS FASHION WEEK PLS pic.twitter.com/xjXPVURX0D
— Maria Bobila (@bobilapizza) February 15, 2017
10. Reports say that the only awkward part of the show was the ending. Unlike in previous years, Kanye didn’t appear at the end of the show and take a bow. Instead, attendees only knew it was over when Kim Kardashian got up and left. Casual.
Related article: Everything that happened at the Yeezy Season 4 Show