Urban dwellers are paying a high price when it comes to their skin health.
If you think your city skin is in a worse condition than your country-living counterparts, you’re right. A recent survey by the Society For Investigative Dermatology connected the effect of air pollution with accelerated skin ageing. Add the impact of stress and disturbed sleep, and city living really can affect your skin. Simple Skincare expert Craig Beaglehole suggests combating pollution by always cleansing and moisturising before bed.
“Without doing that we’re leaving the dirt and grime from the day on our skin, which makes us more prone to breakouts, increased sensitivity, blocked pores and a lacklustre appearance,” he says.
Read on for our solutions for your city-skin woes…
Whether it’s triggered by a demanding job or a high mortgage, stress hormone cortisol causes collagen to break down, affecting elasticity.
Solution: Create a barrier.
Load up on antioxidants and pick a product with SPF.
1. Body Shop Vitamin E Overnight Serum-in-Oil, $45.
2. Lancôme City Miracle CC Cream, $79.
3. Antipodes Worship Antioxidant Serum, $54.50.
4. Bobbi Brown SPF 50 Protective Face Base, $75.
5. Estée Lauder DayWear Advanced Multi-Protection Anti-Oxidant SPF 50, $75.
Problem: Disturbed sleep.
We’ve all seen the results of a bad sleep – puffy eyes, dark circles and dull skin. If you’re burning the candle at both ends, or are woken throughout the night by your child, your body’s anti-inflammatory agents aren’t as readily activated and the production of skin-damaging free radicals increases. Let’s just say… your skin won’t look great.
Solution: A good sleep regime.
Sometimes simple measures like ear plugs and black-out blinds can minimise noise and light. Skin-wise, pick a hydrating night cream layered with a good serum.
6. Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant Moisturiser, $65.
7. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Serum, $121.
8. Dior One Essential City Defense, $175.
9. Elizabeth Arden Prevage Daily Serum 30ml, $399.
While we’re not talking smoke billowing out of chimneys in an industrial revolution fashion, invisible pollution can be swirling all around us. It’s these tiny particles that will lead to the breakdown of collagen and dehydration of the skin, which causes an acceleration of wrinkles and premature ageing.
To deal to the hard city pollutants it’s best to supercharge your cleanser with a face brush.
10. Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser, $16.
11. Simple Kind to Skin Vital Foaming Cleanser, $12.
12. Avène Micellar Lotion Cleanser and Makeup Remover, $45.
13. Clarisonic Mia 2 Sonic Skin Cleansing Brush, $225.
From the editors at NEXT.