This season’s latest looks champion a sidestep from straightforward, switching up length, texture and silhouette in pursuit of a fresh approach.
Juliette Hogan top, $389.
THE LONG GAME
Take long hair to extreme lengths, prioritising healthy shine.
1. Prep hair with a small amount of Joico K-Pak Smoothing Balm, $33, then blow-dry smooth. Straighten any frizz or texture with a flat iron.
2. Draw the top section of hair back from the hairline and over the crown.
3. Brush the rest of the hair back with a dense bristle brush and secure into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck, leaving the side sections at the temples free. For extra length, wrap a colour-matched hair extension weft around the ponytail and pin in place.
4. Take the side sections and twist back, crossing over and around the ponytail one by one to cover the elastic and the base of any extension. Secure with a bobby pin.
5. Straighten the lengths with a flat iron and finish by applying a touch of Joico K-Pak Protect & Shine Serum, $33, to your hands and running them over the lengths to smooth and add shine.
Juliette Hogan top, $329.
Supersize a tumbling wave — bigger is better when it comes to curls.
1. Apply Joico Body Luxe Root Lift Volumizing Foam, $32, to the roots of your hair, lifting sections as you spray to ensure good concentration. Section hair, then blow-dry each with a large round brush, encouraging lift at the roots.
2. Using medium-barrel tongs, work through the hair taking horizontal sections (start at the nape of the neck and move up to the top of the head) and curling with the tongs angled downwards. Let the curls fall without disturbing and allow to cool.
3. Apply a touch of Joico K-Pak Protect & Shine Serum, $33, to fingertips and run through the mid-lengths and ends. Using a boar-bristle brush, brush out curls from roots to tips, then lightly spritz with a flexible hairspray such as Joico Design Works Shaping Spray, $27.
Kate Sylvester blazer, $679.
A trio of mini-buns lends an edge to event dressing.
1. Apply Joico Body Luxe Root Lift Volumizing Foam, $32, to damp hair and blow-dry using a round barrel brush.
2. Divide hair into three sections horizontally, from ear to ear.
3. Scoop the top section of hair up with your hands for relaxed texture or brush for smooth results, then tie into a ponytail. Bend the hair over on itself and tie off the end with cord.
4. Repeat for all three sections, gathering the ends of the previous bun into the new section.
5. With the last bun, leave the ends of the hair loose. Spritz a little Joico Hair Shake, $34, into the ends and tousle with your fingers for soft texture or wrap around tongs for a more defined shape. Finish with a touch of Joico K-Pak Protective Hairspray, $33.
Jojo Ross top, $465.
No longer confined to concealed construction, a multitude of pins on show gives a punky nod to this accessory moment.
1. Make a high and deep side part, then brush one side back, spraying liberally with Joico JoiMist Firm Finishing Spray, $27.
2. Secure with coloured bobby pins. If the ends are long, tuck them away into a twist at the back of the head and secure.
3. Add a touch of Joico Body Shake, $34, to the side left out and backcomb the underside near the front for a slightly textured, coif shape.
4. Secure this side with pins behind the ear if the hair is short, or tuck any length back on itself and pin with more pins behind the ear.
Karen Walker dress, $775.
Turn up the heat on a sleek style by allowing slick strands to stray.
1. Prep hair with a small amount of Joico K-Pak Smoothing Balm, $33, then blow-dry smooth. Straighten any frizz or texture with a flat iron and add a touch of Joico K-Pak Colour Therapy Restorative Styling Oil, $33.
2. Use a tail comb to create a deep side part. Comb both sides down to just behind the ears and secure into a ponytail.
3. Split the ponytail into two and twist each section into a rope, then twist back on itself to form a bun. Secure with bobby pins.
4. Use a tail comb to draw flyaway hairs from around the hairline for added texture.
5. Finish by spraying with Joico Power Spray $27.