We are addicted to hair spray at this time of the year for fighting frizz and giving your style the support it needs to stay looking bouncy all day.Backstage at the recent New York Fashion Week, our hair guru and Redken’s global styling director Guidocreated these big, beautiful curls for the Marc by Marc Jacobs show. “The inspiration for this look was a 1940s-era woman, an uptown girl – but then we made it more fun. We didn’t want it to feel symmetrical or too perfect; the back brushing gives a teased effect, a little crazy,” says Guido.
Even if your hair is only sporting a tiny amount of natural curl, you can play it up with these styling tips.
1. Apply Redken Guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam, $38, from roots to ends to create volume and a base for styling, then blow-dry hair.
2. When hair is dry, create a deep side part, and then curl hair in small sections using a curling iron. Pin each curl to the head with bobby pins.
3. When you’ve finished doing the whole head, leave to cool then unpin each curl.
4. Run fingers lightly through curls, then gently brush out with a boar bristle brush for extra volume.
5. Tease the top front section, then sweep it across the forehead and secure in place with a bobby pin.
6. Finish by spraying with Redken Fashion Work 12 versatile working spray, $36, to smooth the surface and hold the style.