A new twist on the classic pony was shown at the recent Ports 1961 autumn/winter 2013 collection in Milan. Created by Eugene Souleiman, Wella Professionals global creative director, who complemented the perfect proportions of the garments. “I wanted to create a hair look to complement this; something very considered but effortless and elegant,” said Souleiman. The finished look was a low side part, swept across the forehead to add glamour to a classic pony. The flash of unexpected elegance came in the form of a mini reverse French pleat at the back. Souleiman commented backstage with a wry smile: “This is more hair design than hair styling; it’s extremely technical and should only be attempted by a trained hairdresser.” But while it might look tricky, we say you don’t have to be an expert to get this look – just try a variation; if a few strands fall free, it adds to the drama.
1. Make a low side parting and sweep the hair across the forehead and over the ear, secure half the hair in a low ponytail at the nape of the neck using elastic to secure.
2. Use a soft bristle brush and Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray, $27 as you style to keep the hair perfect smooth
3. Gently back comb the remaining hair at the roots in the direction of the pony tail, and then smooth over with the soft brush towards the ponytail, spraying and brushing as you go.
4. Take the remaining hair and fold into a reverse French pleat, rolling down towards the ponytail, securing the bottom of the pleat into the ponytail, use elastic to keep the pony in place.
5. Finish with a spray of Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray, to keep the style in place and secure the pleat with hair pins if needed.