Sophisticated and seductive, a red lip is the perfect way to liven up your look. We set out beauty’s crimson code.
• Pick the right shade. Establish if your skin tone is cool or warm (see tip). Cool skin tones should choose blue-based reds but warm skin tones should opt for reds with pink or orange undertones.
• Use a lipliner. Outlining lips before applying colour keeps the look slick and stops feathering.
• Keep your lipstick on hand. Maintaining a precise red lip requires multiple touch-ups.
Beauty tip: Use these tricks to work out if your skintone is warm or cool:
• Do the veins on your wrists look green (warm) or blue (cool)?
• Do you look better in gold jewellery (warm) or silver (cool)?
• Apply heavy eye make-up. You want the focus to be on your lips, so keep the rest of your make-up simple for a chic, modern look.
• Be afraid to clash colours. Team a red lip with a bright pink outfit – it’s okay to break the rules.
• Neglect your lips. Brightly coloured lipstick will highlight rough, chapped skin. Use a lip exfoliator and balm to keep them smooth and hydrated.
Our picks: 1. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Mega Gloss in Alerte Rouge, $24. 2. Bobbi Brown Lip Gloss in Scarlet, $50. 3. Clinique Quickliner for Lips Intense in Intense Passion, $41. 4. Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Harlow Red, $50. 5. Smashbox Always Sharp Lip Liner in Crimson, $46. 6. NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Mascate, $43. 7. Shiseido Perfect Rouge in RD514, $51. 8. Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer in Cherry Pop, $46. 9. Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Matte Lipstick in Irrepressible, $59. 10. L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Intense Lipcolour in Perfect Red, $24.
For more from Simply You, click here
From the editors at Simply You
Photo: Getty Images