In case you hadn’t noticed, summer has arrived!
As with previous years, Fashion Quarterly kicked off the celebration with our annual FQ Swim Show; in our humble opinion, there’s no better way to see in the sunny season than with a party revolving around swimwear (all enjoyed with a delicious beverage in hand, of course).
When it comes to cocktails, there are the fail-safe recipes which rarely disappoint. But this year, we’re all about a fresh take on our favourites – so we teamed up with our Swim Show event partner Sanpellegrino to put a spin on three summer classics.
If you love the invigorating orange flavour of an Aperol spritz, try the punchy blood orange Rossa Fizz instead.
1 oz/30 ml of gentian liqueur
2 orange segments
2 teaspoons of Muscovado sugar (or alternatively, use plain sugar)
A splash of soda
Topped up with Sanpellegrino Aranciata Rossa
1. In the bottom of a sturdy, large tumbler glass (400 ml capacity), gently muddle the orange with the sugar, ensuring it is well combined.
2. Add a splash of soda and stir.
3. Add some ice cubes and top it up with Sanpellegrino Aranciata Rossa.
4. Decorate with another orange segment and a twig of rosemary.
Pair with: Italian dishes such as cous cous alla Trapanese or a bread roll filled with porchetta
If you like the sweet tartness of a strawberry daiquiri, you will love the delicate sweetness of a Lemor Mix.
1 oz/30 ml of vodka
½ oz /15 ml Strawberry syrup
1 oz/30 ml Orange juice
Top with Sanpellegrino Limonata
1. Pour the orange juice and strawberry syrup into a double old fashioned glass.
2. Stir well using a bar spoon and fill with ice.
3. Top up with Sanpellegrino Limonata and garnish with fresh strawberries.
Pair with: Fried salt cod or an onion frittata to really bring the Mediterranean sunshine to your snack time.
If you are partial to the zesty grapefruit flavours in a Sea Breeze, the Pompelmo Splash will be a refreshing option.
1 ½ oz/45 ml of sake
1 oz/30 ml pulp-free apple juice
½ oz/15 ml raspberry syrup
Top up with Sanpellegrino Pompelmo
1. Fill a large, sturdy tumbler glass (400 ml capacity) with ice cubes.
2. Gently pour in the apple juice and raspberry syrup, and top with Sanpellegrino Pompelmo.
3. Stir until combined using a bar spoon.
4. Garnish with a piece of caramelized apple.
Pair with: Stuffed zucchini flowers and crostini with cannellini on the side.
*This article is brought to you by Sanpellegrino, event partner of the 2017 FQ Swim Show.