In Fashion Quarterly’s spring issue, we spend four days in Los Angeles with jet-setting fashion designer Karen Walker as she shoots her latest jewellery and eyewear campaigns.
In the wake of this whirlwind trip, one question remains: how does the queen of the long-haul flight always look so. Damn. Good? We thought it was time for Karen to let us in on her top 10 travel essentials, and she was happy to oblige.
Pictured clockwise from top left:
- My Macbook. When I’m on a plane, it’s either my office or my bedroom. 13-inch Macbook Pro, $1999.
- A Karen Walker scarf. It can be so chilly in airplanes and I find a light, gauzy scarf can make all the difference. Karen Walker scarf, $85.
- Karen Walker Runaway Girl Pendant. It’s my ever-present travel charm. Karen Walker Runaway Girl Large Pendant, $2189.
- Osmosis Clear Plus. I never get on a plane without this, it’s my go-to favourite for in-flight refreshing and hydrating. Osmosis Clear Plus+ Activating Hydrating Mist, $68.
- A change of clothes. Once on board I always change into cashmere track pants and t-shirt. Isabel Marant track pants.
- Karen Walker Fragrances. I always pack a Karen Walker fragrance – I especially love the crispness of A on a plane. Karen Walker A 100ml, $179.
- Bose Noise-Cancelling Headphones. I never fly without these. Bose Noise-Cancelling Headphones, $599.
- Watch. I don’t always wear a watch but when I travel I always wear my Omega so I can set it to the new time zone as soon as I board and start fighting the jet lag straight off. Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch.
- My new Karen Walker tote bag. It holds everything I need without being too travel-ly. Karen Walker Arrow Tote, $630.
- A book. I always read for 15 minutes before going to sleep. Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill, $26.99.