Any experienced traveller will tell you that whether you’re packing for a lengthy getaway or nipping abroad for business, flying doesn’t come without a few pressure points along the way.
Anticipating every perceivable need and want can plague your decision making at the best of times. Throw in luggage restrictions, regulations and the convenience factor and you can find yourself in a right conundrum, or even worse, ditching recently purchased products at security.
To keep it simple, we’ve prepared the ultimate checklist of what needs to go in your carry-on luggage, and more specifically, what beauty items should take precedence in that teeny tiny regulation clear zip lock bag.
Because let’s be honest, if anyone knows what works, it’s the Fashion Quarterly team.
Checklist: What to pack in your carry on luggage:
- Important documents, ID/passport, pen
- Medication plus spare sanitary or first aid items
- Phone and charger
- Valuables (jewellery, camera etc.)
- Change of underwear/swimwear
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Entertainment (book, magazine, iPad)
- Toiletries (we tell you which ones below)
Why pack your valuables in your carry on luggage?
We’ve included valuables because unlike checked luggage, your carry-on will remain in sight and is less likely to get lost or loaded onto the wrong plane. We recommend choosing a bag that can be locked for added security. Otherwise just in case your seat requires you to stow away your belongings at all times, a concealed bag with a zip closure is perfect so that nothing falls out during the flight and potential thieves can’t see what they’re missing.
Why you should pack spare underwear in your carry on luggage:
Cancelled, postponed or diverted flights could mean a spontaneous night in an airport hotel. Pack a spare pair of underwear to see you through or take it from our digital content producer Terri Dunn, and consider packing swimwear.
“Having swimwear in my carry-on has saved me on a number of occasions when my flight’s been delayed or the hotel room isn’t ready. Instead of spending another 12+ hours in my flight attire, I can track down the swimming pool and completely freshen up and relax,” says Terri.
What to wear on your flight:
Striving for the celebrity-endorsed airport attire can be tempting, but at the end of the day, practical clothing choices may mean some of your fashion-forward pieces are sacrificed in favour of comfortable ones. However, wearing your jackets and heavier pieces can be a strategic move if you’re worried about exceeding your weight restriction. Senior art director Alice Morgan advises stowing away some lightweight leggings to change into once you’re on the plane. “If you are going to do any long distance travel you NEED to take some stretchy yoga pants to get comfy,” says Alice.
Which beauty products to pack in your carry on luggage:
- Hand sanitiser
- Multi-purpose balm – eg moisturising lip and cheek tint
- Hydrating mist or toner (without alcohol)
- Hydrating gel cream or moisturiser
- Antioxidant serum or mask (optional, but heavily advised)
- Long wearing concealer or BB cream
And if you’re not checking in luggage:
- Mineral foundation – its powder composition means it doesn’t need to go into your liquids allowance (bonus!)
- Mascara and/or liner
- Rollerball fragrance
- Three-in-one powder bronzer, highlighter, and blush compact (multi-purpose products are your BFF)