Cracking claims made in a new unauthorized biography, including what really went down in that elevator
The new unauthorized Beyoncé biography is finally out and is already causing a stir. Famed celebrity biographer J. Randy Taraborrelli hired a private investigator to track down and speak to various people who have crossed paths with the superstar singer over the years. And while nothing particularly scandalous is revealed, the fact of the matter is we still like to know Every. Little. Thing about Queen Bey – so obviously we’re salivating over even the smallest details!
Bearing in mind this book is completely unauthorized and everyone loves to have their five minutes of fame, we’ve pulled out the ten craziest things you learn from Becoming Beyonce:
1. She almost signed with Prince. Back when Destiny’s Child was still called Girls Tyme (yes, really!), Beyoncé and former DC member LaTavia Roberson almost formed a duo, with LaTavia rapping and Beyoncé singing. Industry engineer Arne Frager states in the book that Prince wanted to sign the girls. “He would call me two weeks later and say, ‘I love this stuff!'” Frager said of Prince. “He said, ‘These girls are incredible and I want to sign them to Paisley Park.'”
2. You don’t want to mess with Bey or she will lash out. Beyoncé and her family were close to her former manager, the late Andretta Tillman, and thus, Andretta’s sons also spent a lot of time with the Knowles. On one occasion, one of the sons did something to annoy a young Beyoncé, so she kicked him in the crotch out of anger:
“Before anyone could stop her, she ran right up to Chris, who was just standing there with his hands in his pockets, and kicked him right in the nuts! The poor kid fell right to his knees like a sack of potatoes.”
3. Puff Daddy/Diddy didn’t think she had what it takes. Beyoncé’s rise to the top wasn’t totally fluid, and while the book mentions Prince’s interest in signing her, one exec who didn’t share his excitement was Sean “Diddy” Combs. Diddy liked Bey’s name, but not enough to add her to the Bad Boy roster:
[Diddy] felt the girls weren’t “hip-hop enough.” He said that the lead singer was pretty good and that he was fascinated by her name. However, in the end he passed, saying Beyoncé wasn’t “edgy” enough and that she and her group needed “more flava” before he would ever be interested.
Bad move, Diddy. Bad move.
4. Beyoncé will happily take up a dare – and once mooned Usher. Usher was a budding act around the same time Girls Tyme (then called Somethin’ Fresh) was gaining steam, so it was inevitable that their worlds would collide. Bey being Bey, felt she could catch Usher’s eye and mooned him on a dare. Former bandmate Nina Taylor recalled the incident: “She dropped her pants maybe halfway down and mooned him, real fast. We all squealed with delight, and Usher’s eyes got wide as saucers and he exclaimed, ‘Damn, girl!'”
Just the reaction we would have hoped for ourselves.
5. She had her first kiss at a Brian McKnight concert. Swoon. Before Jay Z put a ring on it, Beyoncé had a first love named Lyndall Locke. Their relationship lasted 10 years and as you do when it’s young love, Bey waited a whole year and a half to kiss him. When it finally happened, it was at a Brian McKnight concert – yes, he of R&B crooning, turtleneck-wearing fame. Lyndall was 15 and Bey was 13:
“Once we got to the auditorium, before the show started, I accidentally dropped our popcorn,” Lyndall recalled. “Beyoncé and I both bent down to get it. When we did, our heads bumped. We looked at each other, and that’s when it happened- the first kiss. I had never before felt anything like that in my entire … fifteen years.”
Aww, young love!
6. The end of Destiny’s Child hit Beyoncé extremely hard. When DC disbanded, Bey treated it like a break-up and isolated herself in her room for several weeks:
“I became so depressed,” she later said. “It was such a dark time for me. I felt sad, angry, and pissed off.” Her publicist, Yvette Noel-Schure, recalled, “It was the first time I really saw her just sort of go into a shell.” The girls’ choreographer, Junella Segura, added, “I would be speaking to Tina and Tina would say, ‘She didn’t even get out of bed today.'”
7. It was most definitely not love at first sight for Beyoncé and Jay Z. They may be pretty “Drunk in Love” now, but they very nearly didn’t happen. Beyoncé’s uncle Larry Beyince broke down the beginning of their relationship:
“He was after her and she wasn’t interested. She told me she wasn’t particularly fond of him. I heard rumors that they were together and she told me no. You know how women get that, like, ‘Ewww.’ I guess she wasn’t attracted to him.”
8. She has breast implants… apparently.
Whereas Tina Knowles was able to convince Kelly Rowland to wait a number of years, until she was twenty-eight, before having this surgery, she wasn’t able to do the same for Beyoncé, who insisted upon it in her early twenties … “Bigger boobs are sexy,” she told one of her confidantes at this time.
9. President Obama gave Beyoncé his digits and told her to call him anytime. Following her performance at his 2009 inaugural ball, the President told the Carters they could call him on his cell phone whenever.
Obama was so taken with the couple, he pulled from his vest a small card with his private cell phone number on it and handed it to Beyoncé. “Call me anytime,” he told her. “I mean, anytime he will let you,” he added, motioning to Jay and smiling. Beyoncé was so amazed, she immediately put the number on speed dial on her phone, though, to anyone’s knowledge, anyway, she’s never used it.
10. So this may not be new news – but it appears the elevator incident was about Rihanna:
The chain of events seems to have begun when Jay said he wanted to attend an after-party hosted by Rihanna. It would overstate things to say that Beyoncé is jealous of Rihanna, but because of what happened almost seven years earlier relating to her, she remains a little sensitive about her … Whatever his reasoning, he and Beyoncé had words about it—a “whispered argument” according to one source close to the situation—and that was the end of it. It was just a quick marital spat of no real consequence that ended with Beyoncé laying down the law: Jay was not going to be attending that party. Had it not been witnessed by Solange, it probably would have been over and done with.