We might make magazines for a living, but here at FQ we know there’s nothing like a good book. Of course, it’s hard to know where to begin sometimes, so in honour of #BookLoversDay, we’ve come up with this list of celeb-approved literature that’ll make riding out the rest of winter’s rainy weekends more of a treat than a chore. Happy reading!
1. One’s the voice of our generation, the other is (like it or not) the face of our generation, so we couldn’t be more on board with Lena Dunham’s endorsement of Selfish by Kim Kardashian.
2. “It seemed to disregard the rules of the novel, but it wore its unconventionality with ease” – so said one reviewer about Renata Adler’s Speedboat, encapsulating all that we love about Tavi Gevinson herself.
A photo posted by Tavi Gevinson (@tavitulle) on
3. Reclined on a beach reading Diane von Furstenberg’s autobiography, The Woman I Wanted to Be, Karlie Kloss is certainly the woman we’d like to be.
I have had my nose in this book all weekend….If anyone is looking for an incredible summer read, you must pick up @DVF’s #TheWomanIWantedToBe. I have always been inspired by Diane (I have been lucky enough to work with her since I was 16), but reading about her extraordinary life journey has given me a whole new appreciation for the resilient, passionate and loving woman she is. ❤️❤️
4. She’s known for her eclectic wardrobe, both on screen and off, so we’d expect nothing less from Mindy Kaling than this eclectic mix of reading material.
mes livres à France! A photo posted by Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling) on
5. We’ve been wearing Kate Sylvester’s Donna Tartt inspired collection all winter, so we think it’s about time we moved The Goldfinch to the top of our reading pile. Especially now we know that it’s a fave of Florence Welch.
6. Want to be a source of scintillating conversation at your next dinner party? Lou Doillon’s girl power reads look like they’d be a great place to start.
Women that make me strong #flanneryoconnor #christinedepizan #carsonMccullers #anaisnin #annecatson #pattismith #sylviaplath #dorothyparker #annaakhmatova and many more A photo posted by Lou Doillon ☕ (@loudoillon) on
7. Touted as this year’s The Devil Wears Prada, The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza tells the story of fashion editor’s assistant Eve, and her attempt to usurp her boss and turn ‘Glossy’ magazine, famous for its lavish 768-page September issue, into an app (gasp!). Fans include Zac Posen.
8. Alexa Chung’s endorsement of How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are by Caroline de Maigret et. al is here to convince you once and for all to get your (preferably un-French manicured) hands on this book.
Learning How to Be Parisian avec @carolinedemaigret et @Chanelofficial Merci beaucoup! Bisous xx A photo posted by Alexa (@chungalexa) on
9. This prim and proper picture of Reese Witherspoon reading Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility is proof that some looks, and books, are classics for a reason.
10. Even our favourite local wordsmith Lorde needs a book recommendation occasionally, and when she does, who else does she turn to but Lena Dunham. If it’s good enough for Lorde it’s good enough for us, thanks Lena!
treats from my angel camp mother @lenadunham A photo posted by Lorde (@lordemusic) on