Embarking on a luxurious spa retreat is always an exciting time, but the contents of your suitcase will be very different to that of your usual sojourn. To make sure you fully enjoy your me-time, follow our guide to clever packing.
- First things first, download a packing app on your smartphone or tablet. Packing Pro ($3.79 for iOS) lets you choose a pre-written list for a spa retreat then customise it based on your personal needs and preferences. Tick items once they’re safely in your suitcase and set reminders for anything you still need to buy or pack. You’ll never forget your phone charger again.
- Stock your smartphone’s music library with your favourite tunes. There is no better way to unwind than with some soothing sounds and songs that lift your mood every time you hear them. Don’t forget your headphones.
- Pack an empty, foldable bag. If you’re just jetting away for a spa weekend, there might not be clothes laundering facilities or services on site, and no doubt you’ll want to keep your bikram yoga workout gear separate from your evening wear.
- When it comes to clothing, pack to relax not to impress. Leave out your tailored jackets and slim-fit suits to keep the chaos of daily life at home. You’ll be lounging in leggings and sprawling in swimsuits, and the spa will provide robes and slippers, as well as a towel. Loose-fitting, lightweight attire is the uniform at spa retreats, so bring yoga pants, loose tees, sweatshirts and a jacket in case of colder weather.
- Check your stilettos at the door, spas are about recuperation and your feet should be allowed a break too. Sneakers are great for colder climates, and sandals or flip-flops for the sunnier getaways.
- Spas will provide a range of magazines and books, but if you’re a woman of specific tastes be sure to pack a few of your favourites to keep yourself entertained.
- Bring a couple of swimsuits, and switch them up between swimming, saunas and sunbathing.
- Spas are about cleansing and detoxifying your body. So while it might feel criminal, leave your cosmetics in the cupboard. Bring your favourite cleanser and moisturiser, but otherwise keep makeup to a minimum.
- Hair ties and bobby pins are easy to forget, but when you’re relishing in facial treatments the last thing you want to worry about is fly-aways, so remember your mane-tamers to keep your hair at bay.
From the editors of Simply You Body & Beauty.