Thought mixing multi-coloured layers and leather wasn’t sophisticated?
Milan street style would say otherwise. Known for making even the most casual or aesthetically offensive trends seem refined (we’re looking at you, ugly sneaker), how do the Italians manage to seam all the trends together and come away looking discerning and decorous?
Is it their ability to tame masculine pieces with feminine silhouettes? Or is it their more-is-more approach to the point that it ultimately becomes endearing? Perhaps it’s not even the fashion. Could it be their unassuming demeanour? Or is it simply because they are Italian?
Either way, whatever Milan is having, we’ll second.
Milan Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2018/19 street style trends:
- Midi length car coats in weighty or full textured fabrics with full lapels.
- Ankle-length straight skirts in light, fluid fabrics – preferably cut on the bias.
- Leather layers and jackets complete with contrast stitching and waist belts.
- Subtle colour clashes of red and fuchsia.
- Unexpected use of stripes and floral – together or separately.
- Heeled shoes and boots with a distinctive pointed toe. You might even be so bold as to wear your open toe heels with socks and sweatpants.
- Opt for a top handled bag – otherwise, your crossbody shoulder bag will be acceptable so long as you carry it like a clutch, letting the strap fall to the side.
- And to top it all off, some killer shades that subscribe to the ‘Do Not Disturb’ philosophy.
Scroll through the street style gallery below: