Wellington on a Plate (WOAP) is our favourite time of year. You can keep birthdays, Christmas, and New Year for you. Just give Nom Girls WOAP.
Wellington on a Plate is the biggest celebration of food in the capital, where local eateries get involved in creating special menus, amazing burgers and cocktails and desserts to wow the crowds.
We think that Wellington shines best during WOAP and is worth a visit to nom some delicious food and experience a whole new level of the Wellington food scene. Don’t believe us? We’ve got ten reasons why you should visit Wellington during WOAP.
– Hannah and Kalliana
1. If you love burgers, Burger Welly means you could have one for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the festival and still not eat all the burgers on offer. With 123 burgers and 17 days, it’s a mammoth selection.
73 The Terrace
2. Dine Wellington sets menus mean you can get an epic meal for an absolute steal. Less than $50 for two courses and a glass of local wine? Yes please.
33 Queens Wharf
3. Craft beer lovers rejoice – the biggest craft beer festival, Beervana coincides with the first weekend of WOAP. Plus, every year Garage Project releases new limited edition beers to try with your burger.
4. The chance to try something new and unique. Who says offal needs to be awful, that leftovers are boring or that stuffing doesn’t belong in a burger?
4 Roxburgh Street
5. Along with supporting local eateries, local products and produce are highlighted in every participating menu – keeping it local since ages ago
6. Hands on events help you build your skills in the kitchen and impress all your mates back home. Become a dumpling, scone, cocktail or pizza pro in no time
7. The cocktail creations are epic, plus will always come with a little snack on the side
CGR Merchants & Co
44 Courtenay Place
8. International food superstars and industry professionals come to play. The chance to eat food prepared by one of the top 50 chefs in the world or to drink delicious wine while you chat about it with the winemaker? Yes please.
270 Willis Street
9. Collaborations and pop-ups make the festival that much more exciting – oyster pop up bar before hitting up Asian inspired street eats and food truck park for dessert? Perfect!
10. Everyone is getting amongst it, so no one will judge you when you’re eating your fifth burger of the week on a Wednesday or trying to get the perfect shot of your food standing on a chair in the middle of a crowded restaurant. Talk about doing it for the Insta!