Karangahape Road is an Auckland institution.
This colourful street (or not so colourful as the case may be – here, black will always be the new black) is the closest thing the city has to a red light district and houses many a retro clothing and op shop store, alongside some of the quirkiest bars, restaurants and music venues around.
Last night’s K Road Presents show saw Lela Jacobs, Maaike, Ovna Ovich and Jimmy D presenting their collections at NZFW, so we paired up key outfits with its K Road establishment counterpart, for when you don’t know what what to wear, where:
1. Ovna Ovich’s shiny long-sleeved jumpsuit in black and white with an elasticated waist, channels the loungewear look nicely – perfect for tea and double-layer almond and buttermilk cake with the girls at The Caker.
2. Wear Jimmy D’s black low-slung skirt with matching black crop top for late night shenanigans at The Eagle Bar.
3. Maaike’s white dress with dirty teal/green dressing gown will help pull the punters at Coco’s Cantina.
4. Party ‘til dawn in Maaike’s moon-printed dress and glitter boots at Las Vegas Club.
5. Ovna Ovich’s camel coat and pants will keep you warm while hanging outside the Peach Pit in winter.
6. Jimmy D’s blue paisley-printed, spaghetti-strap slip dress is guaranteed to put you in the mood for a spot of op-shopping at Vixen in St Kevin’s Arcade.
7. Go foraging in Myer’s Park in a mushroom-coloured, layered crochet number from Lela Jacobs.
8. Cobalt blue boots, monochrome spotted ‘KAME-ZA’ dress/top with black fringing from Maaike will see you through a fun night at Whammy Bar.
9. Wear Lela Jacobs’ sheer black organza long dress/ top over black trousers and boots to show off your new breast tattoo to The Tattooed Heart.
10. No one will be any the wiser when you squirt hot dog mustard down your front at The Burgerie if you’re wearing one of Ovna Ovich’s mustard-coloured garments.